Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Negative People

Are you a negative person? I have moments of negativity. I think my rant below kind of proves that statement. I think we all have moments of negativity brought on by frustration. But in general, I think my personality is sort of on an even keel. If I had to analyse my personality, I'd say that I'm quiet and more serious natured than silly. But I'm not overly negative by any means.

There are people out there who are negative on a regular basis. They are miserable, hate their lives, and have decided that if they are going to be miserable, then everyone else should be miserable too. They ooze misery from their pores.

When this particular type of poor attitude worms it's way into a group of people, a few things happen. Some buy into the misery. They climb aboard the misery ship. A once semi-normal person who had a decent outlook on life before becoming infected, will begin to exhibit signs of the misery disease. This happens to the vulnerable ones. The easily swayed. These weak minded people really don't stand a chance when a miserable person infiltrates the fold. Negativity begets negativity. If you think it's not contagious, think again. One bad apple can certainly spoil the bunch.

Then you have the strong minded people. These people have no intention of sailing off on that ship. They recognize the danger of that journey and fully intend to keep their feet on dry, positive ground. Unfortunately, these people still have to put up with the infected people until they do in fact, sail away. It's not easy. At all. And these people really never sail away soon enough.

Life is tough and it's getting tougher. Being negative isn't going to help the situation. We can all have little pity parties for ourselves in the privacy of our own .... well.. privacy. But the better person puts on a positive face when meeting the world in spite of the problems.

I'm going to try harder to be positive. I don't ever want to be one of those people.

And the truth is, no matter what the miserable person brings to the table in terms of knowledge, experience, or success, that person is still a cancer to the others who might have been even better had they not been led down the path of pessimism and disillusionment.

1 comments:

Yvonne said...

That is a very poignant post, Holly. I work on one of those misery ships, but try to keep happy! :)