Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Stuff... Just Stuff

Well thanks to Jane I now realize I can add photos to my blog a lot easier than I was doing it before. Thank you Jane! Unfortunately, I have no photos to show today. That's what happens when you work until 10:00pm... no knitting!

But I do have some knitting news. The yarn my daughter got me in Ireland has been officially designated for this:knit this cabled hooded pullover :: rogue :: the girl from auntie I COMPLETELY forgot I ordered this pattern. It was one of those "back burner" things that I thought I'd do eventually when the right yarn sort of popped into my life. Well it popped, baby, it popped!!! I will wait until after Christmas to give this one my full attention. My only problem with this is that I know I will need help and I don't like to ask my LYS proprietor to help me with projects if I didn't buy the yarn there. Maybe she'll be up for some private lessons for a fee. I'd be happy to pay her to help me. The instructions for that are 19 pages long. Very intimidating. Because the bag of yarn isn't marked as far a yardage, I sent the shop proprietor in Ireland an email asking if there was enough to complete this pattern. Believe me, I'm not entering the realm of shortage again. It's way too painful.... which reminds me that I do have to finish the big bulky blue thing with the yarn that doesn't really match at some point before winter. That Cascade 220 was never located despite extraordinary attempts.

In other knitting news, my daughter picked up a little felted bag at The Wool Gathering in Kennett Square the other day and did some really pathetic whining and hinting that she would sure love to have one of those for Christmas. I just ignored her but I called Karen at the shop today and she does have the pattern. It's on it's way to me. That will be a quick and easy gift and the best thing will be the surprise. (don't worry, she doesn't read this blog!)

1 comments:

jillz said...

Hey Holly,

The yarn isn't any particular brand is it? There are a few ways you can figure out yardage if you don't know.

First off is to find someone who has a skein winder. They are wooden contraptions that wind yarn into skeins and you can tell from how many times you crank the wheel how many yards it is.

If there is no skein winder available to you, weigh all of your skeins (better yet if they are labeled with the weight) and take one skein and wind it around a dining room chair, counting how many times you wind the yarn around. Once you are finished, you can measure the distance around the back of your dining room chair. Multiply the number of times you went around by the distance around and divide by 36 for yardage of 1 skein. If all the skeins are a similiar weight, you can then figure out how much total yarn you have. It's a pain in the butt but a sure way to know how much you have before you start!