Monday, July 25, 2005

Third Time's A Charm
















If you'll recall, I came home from Florida to find my second clapotis pulled off the needles and in a stringy mess on the love seat in my living room where I left it. I don't know who or what was responsible for the destruction but I didn't ask questions. I figured that if I was dumb enough to leave it sit there, I shouldn't be surprised to find it in that condition upon my return to the insane asylum I call home. (Think Malcolm In The Middle and you get the picture) Anyhow, since I have failed miserably with the lace project, I decided to get this thing movin again and finish it for my sister's birthday next month. I am again reminded how much fun this pattern is to knit. I just like the sequence of stitches.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I got the pattern for the felted purse in the mail on Saturday. It calls for acrylic handles and I'm almost sure the one I saw in the store had knitted handles. For some reason I don't like those plastic handles on knitted bags so I will have to fashion some type of a knitted handle for it. It shouldn't be too difficult even with my limited skills! Buy pattern here:
Hand Knit Purse Patterns, Felted Purse Patterns


I measured the yarn from Ireland using a tip from Jillz (thank you Jillz!). Turns out I'm going to be just short for Rogue. So I sent an email off to Ireland asking if I can buy just one skein but I think the answer will be no and I will have to buy another bag. But it's not like I'll never use the rest of it if I have to do that. Just more really, really good stash! Right?

Off topic, we got brave yesterday and ripped the carpeting off the stairs to the second floor in our house. (old Victorian circa 1891) We had no idea what we would find. I am sort of pleasantly surprised. The top of each step is an oak hardwood that was never painted over. The risers are painted white. The wood is in semi-okay condition. It is splitting in some places and will need to be sanded down and filled in with wood putty but I think I can get it to look half decent. Of course this will take away from my knitting time and I'm not real happy about that. But it is definitely not my husband's thing so I guess it will be my project. The dog is not loving this change in her little world. The bare steps are freaking her out.

The Weight Watcher's report is that I lost 10 lbs. so far. Yippee! I have 28 days and counting until I have to put a bathing suit on so the HEAT IS ON!!! I have decided that Weight Watchers is definitely the way to go. Because my work schedule is so insane, I went to weigh in the last few weeks but didn't stay for the meetings. I was losing willpower and determination and when I did finally attend the meeting on Saturday it really helped. Listening to all these people who have SO far to go and hearing them talk about their progress is really motivating. You think, hey, if they can stay positive knowing they have to lose 100 lbs. , then surely I can stay positive to lose 20.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky that your stairs are in good condition. I ripped up the carpet on my stairs (oh, how disgusting) and found that the Previous Owners faux finished the outer parts of the stair, but not the center, which was a beautiful dark color. Le sigh.

Your house sounds like mine: leave knitting about and it WILL get played with/chewed on/sat upon!

luvs2knit said...

Holly,
You sound like you are busy knitting away!!! Good luck with your second clapotis.

What's interesting about this lovely heat is that I grew up in a house that didn't have air conditioning (until my mom started menopause and then we had it put in our home) and I survived (I don't know how). However, I can remember how amazing hot it was and that a fan on high just wasn't cool enough.

Regarding WW, good for you. I am also doing WW and am down about 3 pounds but my husband is noticing the difference (we are going to my mom's home that's by the Jersey Shore in mid-August). I just made a batch of cookies last night since Caroline went No. 1 on the potty and that was her prize plus mine too.

Sorry about the rattling on!!