Sunday, May 07, 2006

Maryland Sheep and Wool... The Good, The Bad, and the Insane

I can honestly say that I was never so undecided about anything in my life as I was about going to MS&W. So Friday, I finally, FINALLY, decided not to go. I was taking one for the team. I guess I went into martyr mode because on Saturday morning my husband told me he wasn't going to watch me sit around and pout all day and he kicked me out the door. So off I went. It was an uneventful trip. My sister caught me on my cell phone as I was sitting at a convenience store on an exit right before the fairgrounds. That detained me 1/2 hour. (but that's ok..she's worth it) I rolled into the festival around 11:00am and headed straight for the vendor (who will remain nameless) who was supposed to have Socks That Rock yarn. Oh, they had it alright. They had $996.00 worth of it in some girls hands in a big clear plastic garbage bag. She totally bought them out right in front of me. What is that? 50 some skeins? Who needs that much sock yarn? I try to put myself in the vendor's shoes. If someone comes to my stand and says I want to buy everything, won't I be happy to sell it to them? Yeah. But knowing that it's the "IT" yarn, and knowing for sure that you're going to sell it in the two days that you're there, wouldn't it have been nice to put a 4 or 6 skein limit on it? I don't know. I just thought it was lousy. Then, as I walked on to look at the other vendor's yarns, there is the girl who bought all the yarn... SELLING yarn herself. She was a vendor. Don't tell me she isn't going to re-sell all that yarn. Grrr....

So that was the Insane. The bad, happened while I was in line for a t-shirt. (something I didn't do last year) I got in the LONG line, thought I'd be in it for an hour and I was through the line in 20 minutes. Sounds good but it gets bad. There is a lady in there ranting about how unorganized they are and how it used to be better blah blah blah and how they should have signs up blah blah blah. And I thought, these people just checked out about a gazillion people in 20 minutes! And she's complaining. I think they should put her in charge next year and see what a bang up job she does with that. I don't like standing in line any more than anyone else but I thought they were doing a pretty good job considering. The other bad is that I left without taking the cell phone number that Cheryl gave me (because I got thrown out the door in such a hurry) and I didn't get to meet up with the Pittsburgh contingency.... HOWEVER....

The Good is that I met Laurie G!! I recognized her intarsia bag before I recognized her! So that was neat. And I want to see the yarn she spins up with all that beautiful fiber she was buying!
The other good is that I did make a few great purchases. (photos tomorrow) Some nice hand painted stuff. I have no idea what I'll do with it but it's pretty.

Well, I'm gonna go check ebay now to see if the Socks That Rock yarn is on there yet. Oh wait, no, she's still in Maryland. Maybe tomorrow.

4 comments:

Yvonne said...

The chick with the STR yarn must have no class whatsoever, all cajones. Yeesh.

Glad you finally went! :) I hope you had an awesome time!!

LisaBe said...

i would totally have gone with you. i did what your husband didn't want you do to--stayed home and pouted. :)

Cheryl:) said...

I hear the Koigu booth had pushing and shoving!! We went to the Fold and got some socks that rock (I bought one skein).... that's a gyp that the person bought it all.. Sorry we didn't get to meet up!! you couldn't have missed us, we all had bright pink Tshirts on!!! I didn't call because they told me you stayed home. I am still exhausted.

natasha said...

i am sorry i missed everyone! i was looking for that stupid sock yarn for a friend and now i know why i couldn't find it. that is so fricking evil.

congrats on the new baby, granny! and i still owe you sock yarn, so i will send you some as soon as i get some in to dye...what colors? and it will rock, more than the socks that rock and koigu combined!

smoooch!