Sunday, April 17, 2005

Weekend Stashbusting

I spent Saturday night going through boxes, bags, baskets....you name the container, it had yarn in it. (yes, Saturday night, I have no life) I reorganized the whole huge mess and I now have a tidy "to do" basket and two "leftovers" bags, one with only sock yarn. I threw out a bunch of acrylic leftovers that have been senselessly hogging up space in my stash and I feel great about finally ridding myself of them. After the whole de-stashing experience, I have reaffirmed my commitment to do socks and nothing but socks until some of this sock yarn gets used up. I will have to buy some solid color fingering yarn to use up the leftover patterned yarn and make some "remnant socks". Those are actually the most fun to make if you haven't tried it before.

I started a pair of Opal socks today and the quality of the yarn is impressive compared to the DGS Confetti yarn I used for the last pair. Of course, to be fair to DGS, Opal is a lot more expensive so it should be better. They are both superwash wools but the Opal has such a better feel to it in the finished piece. I'm doing a 7 inch K2P2 ribbing for the Opals and I probably shouldn't be. That is certainly not the best way to view the pattern in the yarn but I'm so tired of the Regia Basic Sock Pattern that has the 2 inch K1P1 ribbing. That pattern displays the yarn extremely well but I have found that the 2 inch K1P1 ribbing really stretches out which is another reason I didn't want to use it.

I've decided that once I get the socks finished, I'm going to do Tempting. (knitty.com- in the archives) In a dark green with a red ribbon. I'm finally losing weight and I'd like to do that for the holiday season. I usually don't like short sleeves in the winter but to wear that, I'd suck it up. Photos to come... stay tuned.

0 comments: