Friday, January 06, 2006

The Mystery of the Missing Fruitcake

CONVERSATION WITH MY MOTHER THURSDAY NIGHT

Mother: How did you like the fruitcake?
Me: What fruitcake?
Mother: The fruitcake I gave you on Christmas Eve.
Me: You didn't give me a fruitcake on Christmas Eve.
Mother: Yes I did.
Me: No, you didn't.
Mother: Yes I did.
Me: When?
Mother: When I walked in the door I handed it to you.
Me: I don't remember that.
Mother: You sat it down on the kitchen table.
Me: I never saw it there, even after the party.
Mother: It was there. I saw it there.
Me: Well, I'll ask everyone else if they saw it.
Mother: Well, it was there.

TELEPHONE CONVERSATION WITH DAUGHTER IN DELAWARE THURSDAY EVENING

Me: Hi Kelly. Do you remember seeing a fruitcake in our house while you were home?
Kelly: No
Me: Not on Christmas Eve? Not ever?
Kelly: No
Me: Well, Grandma says she brought us one and I never saw it.
Kelly: I did see a fruitcake on Grandma's table when we went to say goodbye to her and I commented on it and she said she bought two of them, from a monastary, one for her and one for you. She said she gave it to you on Christmas Eve.
Me: So she says.

CONVERSATION WITH CATIE - FRIDAY MORNING

Me: Have you seen a fruitcake around here anywhere?
Cate: No
Me: Not ever? Not on Christmas Eve?
Cate: No, I never saw a fruitcake

TELEPHONE CONVERSATION WITH HUSBAND FRIDAY MORNING

Me: Hi. This is going to sound weird, but did you see a fruitcake in our house at any time on or around Christmas Eve?
Husband: No, I didn't. And I like fruitcake. I think I'm the only person on earth who likes fruitcake. I would have noticed a fruitcake.
Me: Well Mom says she brought a fruitcake on Christmas Eve.
Husband: I never saw a fruitcake.
Me: Do you think we could have accidently thrown it out?
Husband: You accidently throw gift certificates out that are in bags because they don't weigh anything and you don't know they are in there. You don't accidently throw fruitcakes out.
Me: Well what could have happened to it?
Husband: Are we 100% sure she really brought it?
Me: I think so, she told Kelly she gave it to us two days after the fact.
Husband: Well, whatever.

CONVERSATION WITH SON FRIDAY AFTERNOON
Me: Did you see a fruitcake around here anywhere?
Son: What's a fruitcake?
Me: Nevermind

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

Hollyboc and the Case of the Missing Fruitcake...A new series, presented to you by your friends at KnittyWittyPress...

LOL

Good luck finding that fruitcake...

LaurieG said...

The butler did it! But seriously, maybe it was the dog?

luvs2knit said...

If you did see, I'm glad that somebody put it out of its misery : )!!! I dislike fruitcake